Dec 6, 2010

christmas gift from a perfect stranger

Today is Matt's birthday. I thought since his mom and girlfriend don't live near, I, as his older sister, would assume responsibility to try to make the day a little more special for him. I baked him a cake but needed icing to go on it, and knew he would love to add another Best Buy gift card to his DSLR camera fund. I decided to go to the Greenbrier area and kill 2 birds with one stone... grocery store and Best Buy right across the parking lot from each other. Here's the catch. Caleb was working at a job so that meant I was going to have to take all 3 kids with me to. Not a huge deal to some, but with Gioia in her current fit throwing stage it can get pretty ugly. Anyway,  I put on my SuperMom cape (aka, my nursing cover) and set out expecting the worst. (Okay, thats a lie, I didnt actually put on my nursing cover, but I did expect the worst).
By God's grace, we made it through Harris Teeter without a fit and without the normal running away. Went to Best Buy, got the gift card and got back out to the car without much of a fight either. They really did great besides the normal kid stuff. You know what I mean... staring at the candy and picking up every single bag of candy thinking maybe I will say yes to the peanut M&M's even though I already said no to the plain ones (if they were really smart they would have picked up the peanut butter ones. Hard to say no to those!) :) Not a difficult trip but with 3 kids there is a lot of juggling that goes on.

Anyway, I was just got the last one strapped in and climbed into my seat when I heard "Excuse me?!" There was a nice older lady who had come up to my car door. She was tastefully decked out in holiday cheer and looked rather cold. I thought she was going to hand me something I dropped along the way or tell me to enjoy these days because they go quickly. Instead she said "I remember these days. I used to have 3 little ones of my own and I can remember how hard it can be. I want to give you a little something." She then handed me a $20 bill. I said "are you sure!!??" "Yes, I'm sure. Please take it. I want you to have it." "Really?!" "Yes" she said " please get yourself a little treat." By this time we were both teary. I managed to squeek out a "Thank you" and then she smiled and walked away.

Talk about an unexpected blessing. I don't know if she believes in Jesus but either way He used her to encourage my soul today. I can't wait to do this for someone else.

7 comments:

Miriam said...

So AWESOME, Carm!

Laura D said...

Wow! Don't know why, but that story brought a tear to my eye. Isn't the Lord good to give us unexpected blessings!

Gregory said...

Whether the lady was a believer or not, this shows the kindness of our Savior.

Greg & Michelle said...

What a reminder of how kind Jesus is to us! Love this!

kellyH said...

this made me start crying just to here the story. :) love that. hope you treat yourself to something extra special - you deserve it, supermom. :-)

JordanandSue said...

Yea, I teared up, too!! What a very sweet gesture.

AnneB said...

thanks for sharing this! so...did you go back inside and buy the plain and peanut M&M's to celebrate:) Just wondering!